Very little web content is suitable for inclusion into Wikipedia. "Web content" includes, but is not limited to, webcomics, podcasts, blogs, Internet forums, online magazines and other media, web portals and web hosts. Any content which is distributed solely on the internet is considered, for the purposes of this guideline, as web content.
In order to be included in Wikipedia, the web content must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- The content itself has been the subject of multiple non-trivial published works whose source is independent of the site itself
- This criterion excludes:
- Media re-prints of press releases and advertising for the content or site.
- Trivial coverage, such as newspaper articles that simply report the internet address, the times at which such content is updated or made available, a brief summary of the nature of the content or the publication of internet addresses and site or content descriptions in internet directories or online stores.
- This criterion includes reliable published works in all forms, such as newspaper and magazine articles, books, television documentaries, and published reports by consumer watchdog organizations.
- The website or content has won a well-known, reputable, and independent award, either from a publication or organisation
Conflict of interest/advertising
If you are closely associated with the website you want to write about, you have a conflict of interest and will find it very difficult to write a good, neutral encyclopedia article. You will probably find it very difficult to write an article which will not look like advertising to other editors – and using Wikipedia for advertising has been against official policy for a very long time. To this end, if your article submission reads like an advertisement or does not meet the notability guidelines outlined above, it will most likely be deleted very quickly.
Does your proposed article meet the notability requirements?
My proposed article is about a notable website and is not advertising
My proposed article could be considered advertising (help!)
My proposed article is about a website that may not be notable (what can I do?)